Every year, new ads with newer, better, greater toothpastes pop up – but are they really that great? When you look a bit more closely and check out the small print on pretty much any toothpaste, you will read warnings like “Do not swallow” and “Keep out of reach of children” – that’s a bit scary, isn’t it?
Questionable ingredients in regular tooth paste
If you then read through the ingredients, you will notice that there’s a lot in most toothpastes that
1. won’t make your teeth healthier, some of the ingredients are at least controversial or even bad for your oral and overall health (e.g. aspartame, sorbitol, carrageenan, glycerin, plastic micro particles – and fluoride in small doses might be fine, but most of us get way too much and that can actually make your teeth brittle or even lead to fluoride poisoning )
2. is actually simply toxic, hence the warning on the tube. Did you know that ingesting half a tube of toothpaste can be deadly?
And even if you follow those warnings, and manage not to swallow any of the toothpaste in your mouth – congratulations 🙂 – keep in mind that the mucus membrane in your mouth absorbs
So what to do?
Easy: Use natural tooth oil like this one or make your own natural toothpaste and never worry again.
Benefits of the ingredients used in home made, natural toothpaste:
= bicarbonate! NOT baking powder, whitens your teeth and is less abrasive than regular toothpastes.
Xylitol or Stevia:
Unlike sweeteners used in regular toothpaste, neither will actually cause tooth decay, they are also not acid forming like sugar – and xylitol will actually help reduce the amounts of sticky harmful bacteria in your mouth, and actually promote the growth of tooth-protective, non-acidic bacteria.
Side note: Studies report that xylitol’s benefits go beyond dental health, e.g. it seems to also prevent middle ear infections.
Cold pressed organic coconut oil:
Antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial, helps promote healthy teeth & gums in a 100% natural way. How refreshing!
Make sure to use essential oils of therapeutic grade. Check with the manufacturer if you are unsure.
– thieves essential oil blend: cleansing, fights bacteria, boosts the immune system
- spearmint / peppermint essential oil: cooling, energizing, stress-relieving, decongestant, supports digestion, has a protecting and slightly whitening effect on teeth, and of course for flavor and to freshen the breath.
- oregano essential oil: strong anti-bacterial and anti-septic qualities, boosts immune system
- tea tree essential oil: fights plaque, gum disease and oral candida (yeast infection), use it as a mouthwash too.
- fennel: cooling, soothing, sweet and refreshing
RECIPE HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN, NON-TOXIC, INEXPENSIVE TOOTHPASTE
Ingredients for making toothpaste at home:
3 TBSP baking soda (= bicarbonate! NOT baking powder)
xylitol or stevia, to taste
3 TBSP cold pressed organic coconut oil
15-20 drops essential oils of you choice
Procedure to make your own toothpaste:
- In a bowl, stir together the baking soda and xylitol.
- Add coconut oil and stir until well combined. The xylitol should dissolve quite easily, especially if your coconut oil is room temperature.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Fill into a container of your choice. A glass jar is fine however not too hygienic if you are sharing the toothpaste with other members of your house hold. Use an empty tube, a squeeze bottle with a fairly large nozzle or a ziplock bag instead: fill the paste into one corner of the bag, tie it off and then cut off the tip of the bag.
- Voilà, you just made your own toothpaste!
Now over to you! What is your favorite toothpaste flavour?
Comment below 🙂
Many “health care” & beauty products contain all kinds of chemicals – grab my FREE guide with the most important ingredients, sorted
good – rather not – no way: